Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kermit on a roll

Well, the big day finally arrived. Kermit moved under his own power for the first time! It was very exciting doing a few laps around TechShop's parking lot. Matt Heck took some video, which I'll post here soon.

There are a few issues before I can drive it home, however. The first is that when I connected the pack to the inverter for the first time, the inrush current to charge the capacitors caused a spark that was, well, cinematic. Of course I had all my safety gear on (gloves, face shield, etc.) and I was expecting a spark, so no injuries or soiled britches, but jeez... the blinding flash and deafening KAPOW were pretty exciting. Obviously, we can't have that kind of drama each time we fire up Kermit to go get some milk.

The second issue is that the 12V system isn't working yet, both because the DC-DC converter isn't converting, and because interfacing with the MGB wiring is a real head scratcher.

The third thing is related to the control issues mentioned in the last post. As I was driving around the parking lot, it was very difficult to accelerate and decelerate smoothly. The good news is, there's plenty of torque.

No comments: